View Single Post
Old 27-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
I've certainly read where the latest from some health gurus say cardio isn't good for you, basically because it is too much and ends up hurting people who do it too much and damage their heart because of it. I agree.

In the 80's I was in the best shape ever, and what I take away from that experience, is that to do a variety of activities is really best. I learned yoga from a book - a 30 day program and I did it religiously every night after work - along with lifting a little free weights (another routine I learned from a book by Gold's Gym), also did a few calisthetics including crunches. And then topped it all off with a little dancing to modern songs.

I also did a little horse-back riding every day.

I don't necessarily think cardio hurts you unless you do it too much. But that's true with any exercise. There's only so much the body can take. You wanna do some damage so the body can come back stronger, but you don't want the damage to be irreparable. I'm just saying if you want quick fat burning results (and you don't mind gaining a little muscle), cardio is more often than not a waste of time and energy.

I like what you said about variety. I think balance is the key to most things. I'm simply saying that in regards to people trying to lose weight fast, it isn't gonna happen fast if you have low muscle mass. Bodybuilding alone is much more conducive to burning fat than cardio, and therefore when it comes to burning fat, cardio is mostly useless.

That being said, I'm not suggesting we scrap cardio altogether. Gotta work out the heart as well and keep it strong. I just think that given our culture's fitness obsession with losing body fat fast, it makes no sense to have everyone do non-stop cardio workouts. I mean, yeah you'll get results if you keep at it, but it'll take you a lot longer than it would if you just build muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Btw, I really love your signature poem/saying...did you write that? It's nice.

Thank you. Yes I did write it a long time ago actually. I've always had a strange obsession with staring at the moon. My mother thinks I'm a werewolf.