View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 07:21 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
My first was an arthroscopy in '86 for a lateral meniscus tear I suffered in '82 while playing left field for the squadron softball team. I kept putting it off and what really aggravated it was playing some hard-nosed pickup games of fast-pitch hardball after I got out of the Air Force in '84 until it locked up to the point I had to drive my Fiero back from CT using only my left foot to operate gas, brake and clutch. It was an interesting drive down Interstate 95 from Norwalk, CT to Long Island and even moreso when I got off the Cross Island Parkway and onto the local streets. LOL!

The orthopedic surgeon's name was Dr. Jupiter and the last thing he said to me as the anesthesiologist plied his trade was "Say good night Gracie" and I tried but I don't think I got past "Good". Hehehe. I remember waking up in recovery and I was famished! It was about noon and a nurse walked by with two boxes of pizza and I asked if that was for us? Another nurse told me in no uncertain terms "No" and proceeded to bring me orange juice, toast and orange marmalade and I had more than my fill. I almost felt a little guilty because there was some poor slob in recovery who was having a reaction to the anesthesia, dry-heaving to no end.

That was also the year the NY Mets made it into the World Series. Me and a friend were secreted into Shea by a parking attendant for $20 each. He gave us company hats and walked us by security, saying we all needed to use the bathroom. He instructed us to hide there until the gates opened and then mingle into the crowd.

I had my surgery the next day and the day after that I hobbled on crutches for several blocks from my parent's house to the The Den, the local watering hole, where me and my friends watched the Mets take on the Sox.

Good times, good memories.
Well now, you sound like a true baseball fan. Personally, I love tailgating, but could just as well skip the game. Especially now that they so often play on artificial turf and the option of watching the grass grow is no longer available. I suppose the midweek games when they may be painting part of the stands and one can watch it dry could still be entertaining. But hey, for some a cold beer and hotdog (or better yet a brat) during the ball game is close to nirvana, so who am I to judge their yogic path.

I have been anesthetized a number of times for various procedures and surgeries, the vast majority of which are decades in the mirror during my cancer treatment. I recall when they would take marrow biopsies they didn’t want to knock me out so they would use midazolam. I called it razzeldasalam as I would feel like my vision would sparkle a bit before the lights went out. They told me I was not really “out” or “asleep”, but that I would not form any memory of the event and therefore not dread it so much the next time they had to do it. I would razzledazzle out of awareness and then slowly come back a bit later with a sore hip with no memory of what happened, just a gap in time and a feeling something took place. They say it is a very painful procedure, I suppose digging through the hip bone with a tree coring type device would be, but I couldn’t tell you for sure as I was not there as far as I can remember.

Funny you should mention dry heaves. When I first checked into the hospital to begin treatment they had one of my favorite treats on the menu, so I chowed down as it was to be my last meal until after the chemo regimen. The next day they hung the IVs, razzeldazzled me out, and I don’t remember much until 24 hours later, when I remember a feeling of being awake but exhausted and drained. I was told I heaved 20 something times over the course of one nurses shift (which I suppose is why they couldn't knock me out completely), but I don’t remember it. I woke up for one short time in a daze and asked when it would stop, I vaguely recall an answer but can’t recall what it was, then I drifted back off until it was all over. It’s not a memory of being sick, just of asking that question, and then getting an answer, but drifting off again before I could understand or remember what it was.

For 15 plus years after that, if I even thought a thought of that favorite treat I mentioned earlier, my mouth would begin to water, not from hunger, but as a prelude to becoming violently ill, and I would have to desperately chase the thought away to avoid throwing up. It took me some time to realize that because the poison that got me so sick came directly into my veins, my mind did not connect getting sick with the chemo and instead decided it must have been that last meal I ate, and formed a violent nauseated reaction to even the thought of it. It was probably a good 25 years before I could have a little again. These days they warn people not to eat their favorite foods before chemo and/or radiation.

The two stories are interesting because it was the same drug in both, but in the first my mind never really formed a memory or dread of the biopsy procedure. In the second, despite only one very short memory, that didn’t actually involve me being violently ill, unbeknownst to my conscious mind, my subconscious mind formed a very strong memory of what I had eaten prior to it and triggered a reflexive reaction to even the thought of it for years after.