View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 02:07 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Yes, I know what you mean about being anesthetized (hehe.... some people think mine never wore completely off..., sometimes I think they are right...., if so, sometimes I think I am all the better off for it anyway…;) .
That and experiences of absence of self while still being conscious of form in general, both point to the container that defines the space in which the contents are held. One as the empty space within the container, another with the myriad forms within.

Much jumped out at me as he described epistemology from the Vedantic perspective. But what pleased me the most was at the end when he said that is how the model works. Toa, Vedanta, Dharma, General Relativity, Heaven and Hell, Newtonian Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Maxwell's Equations, the Rutherford atomic model, and on and on ....and on to eventually include all conceptions. These are all models of the underlying, ineffable, inconceivable, mystery. All true in, but also limited in, scope. Against the backdrop of that which is not limited in scope, and therefore can never be contained within that which is limited in scope. The mind is limited in scope, at least by the luminosity of the moon light, and by the peripheral vision of its attention, if not by other things as well. To know the experience of the mystery, of Tao, of Brahman, one must close the eyes and remove the walls of the container. All forms are seen as just part of the nothingness from which they arise, form and formlessness are really one and the same, all going on for infinity and eternity. Ineffable, inconceivable, yet in experience, still knowable.
"this is what experience informs us about reality and consciousness and use it as a guide, explore your own experience and see where it takes you using the teachings as a guide".
Yes, exactly, consciousness creates the forms within itself and experiences them and their relationships through action, cause, effect, and consequence. It probes its created models of reality, becoming its own teacher and guide as it explores the mystery of the fromless Tao, of Brahman.

My first was an arthroscopy in '86 for a lateral meniscus tear I suffered in '82 while playing left field for the squadron softball team. I kept putting it off and what really aggravated it was playing some hard-nosed pickup games of fast-pitch hardball after I got out of the Air Force in '84 until it locked up to the point I had to drive my Fiero back from CT using only my left foot to operate gas, brake and clutch. It was an interesting drive down Interstate 95 from Norwalk, CT to Long Island and even moreso when I got off the Cross Island Parkway and onto the local streets. LOL!

The orthopedic surgeon's name was Dr. Jupiter and the last thing he said to me as the anesthesiologist plied his trade was "Say good night Gracie" and I tried but I don't think I got past "Good". Hehehe. I remember waking up in recovery and I was famished! It was about noon and a nurse walked by with two boxes of pizza and I asked if that was for us? Another nurse told me in no uncertain terms "No" and proceeded to bring me orange juice, toast and orange marmalade and I had more than my fill. I almost felt a little guilty because there was some poor slob in recovery who was having a reaction to the anesthesia, dry-heaving to no end.

That was also the year the NY Mets made it into the World Series. Me and a friend were secreted into Shea by a parking attendant for $20 each. He gave us company hats and walked us by security, saying we all needed to use the bathroom. He instructed us to hide there until the gates opened and then mingle into the crowd.

I had my surgery the next day and the day after that I hobbled on crutches for several blocks from my parent's house to the The Den, the local watering hole, where me and my friends watched the Mets take on the Sox.

Good times, good memories.