View Single Post
Old 25-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne
It's really not necessary, more like a hindrance in fact. This was one of the great discoveries of the Buddha. He tried being and ascetic and quickly realised it doesn't work. What actually works is moderation in all things. You need to take care of the basics though.

However, it is true that mystical experiences can be had through extreme deprivation, especially starving oneself. These are more along the line of hallucinations though and I'm not so sure they're actually helpful.

I'm in general agreement with you though there are exceptions to every rule, as Miss Hepburn duly noted.

In Zen Buddhism, there is the famous saying to simply stay in the present and do what is necessary in life. ("I chop wood; I carry water.") Other Zen masters have spoken similarly when they say that they sleep when tired and eat when hungry. That seems quite natural.

Asceticism has never appealed to me. You correctly cited the case of the Buddha. I believe St. Francis of Assisi practiced extreme ascetism at one time but switched to a more moderate approach in treating his body.