View Single Post
Old 28-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnacle
I just remembered something odd that happened years ago. There was a party at my house, and the next morning this girl (my brothers friend, I didn't really know her) who was pretty eccentric and strange told me that I was in her room hovering over her bed the night before. She was completely convinced, she was like "yep, it was you, you were in my room last night hovering above my bed". I don't know what the hell was wrong with me, but I just decided to make fun of her in a cruel way rather than ask her more about it. The night before I did have a lucid dream where I was in my house and searched the bedrooms. I half made the connection that maybe I was astral traveling. I wish I had asked her more about it, maybe she was psychic and could see astral phenomena etc. The thing is though, I've had plenty of these lucid dream experiences where I tested it out to see if it was an astral projection, and I've never been convinced that it was anything other than a dream. The people who I run into can always see me, and interact with me.

The only person who can reliably judge if it is, or isn't a dream, is you. You know the difference between being in a dream, and being focused, conscious and awake.

I've had lots of lucid dreams where the "light bulb" goes on and there's that sudden awareness that I'm dreaming. Now what happens to me then is nothing like a dream. Usually, straight away after that moment, the dream scenario completely disappears, and instead I'm fully awake, but going out of body just above my bed.

Now (in my experience anyway) there can sometimes be variations in the level of conscious awareness. I might leave my body in a completely conscious state, get half way across my room, and lose the whole plot, and start dreaming again! I can feel everything slipping...from consciousness, to awareness again that I'm dreaming, to muzziness, to a full blown dream that I have no ability to direct. This usually ends with me waking up a little while later, frustrated slightly that my awareness slipped, but with a vivid dream. But from the moment I lose it I can never count that as an astral projection. Simply because I can compare it to an actual astral projection or OBE...and the two feel very different to me.