View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 03:18 PM
Master

What I found intriguing about Luke 18 was the interesting juxtaposition of the opening parable and the concluding miracle of Jesus. In the parable the widow was confronting the unjust judge. ‘Faith can move mountains’. Symbolically the unjust judge represents the ‘mountain’ to the widow yet with her faith she was persistent in speaking truth to power.

Luke 18:7-8…..”And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night(persistence) ? Will he keep putting them off ? I tell you , he will see that they get justice, and QUICKLY……the ‘chosen ones’ are precisely those with faith.

Now for the concluding miracle…Luke 18:35-42: the blind man was persistent in having an audience with Jesus. Things proceeded quickly….vs 40-43….”When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you ?” “Lord, I want to see,” he replied. Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Immediately (quickly) he received his sight and followed Jesus….” Light=sight….Jesus=light….following Jesus is following the light.

We often cite single verses and read them literally. We can miss the symbolism that is contained in the greater context….contemplation can be an exercise in connecting the dots. That is when scripture comes alive and meaning and understanding is revealed.