View Single Post
Old 19-04-2023, 08:58 AM
Master

Re INALALAN #12

………..”the ocean made of drops? Certainly it isn't”

Isn’t there DROPS of rain that fill up the oceans?

It’s only an analogy and not expected to be taken literally. Just a starting point really IMO.

INAVALAN………..”people of various persuasions used this analogy to make their spiritual point.”

Yes a lot of spiritual persuasions do use this analogy but I can’t actually see anything wrong with that. I think it’s perfect for some people especially for those who have just started on their spiritual path.

INAVALAN…..…..” I find it interesting that many spiritual analogies and sayings of the wise strive for simplicity rather than accuracy. It isn't as much a literary form as it tries to dumb you down into not-thinking. It is the same attitude as when talking to children using a high-pitched tone: you talk their language.”

No I really dont feel it “dumbs you down into not thinking”. I feel it does the complete opposite ie encourages and helps some people to be able to think about a difficult topic in a way that they can understand, given their level of consciousness of course.

Using a simple analogy for people to understand something spiritually is very helpful, especially if you are just starting on the path or only been there for a short time. Also you have to consider peoples various intelligence levels when they are learning something and keeping it simple rather than accurate is extremely beneficial.

Accuracy is good for YOU personally because you are able to understand things easier because of your intelligence level and the time and experience that you have obviously put in to your spiritual life. And of course you certainly don’t need
these analogies but most people are not at your level.

No I don’t agree that it “dumbs you down.” All it does is give many people a “starting point” to look at something in a different way. Once people have grasped the meaning of something and digested it in a way that they can understand, then eventually they will be able to move on to something more accurate.

I’ve been a teacher of two different subjects for many years and have found that a using a simple analogy to understand something has been extremely helpful.