View Single Post
Old 14-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Trieah

Quote:
Originally Posted by res
Q) Is "encouraging someone to end their life early" in any way shape or form acceptable?

You're asking for a definitive answer to something that is so subjective and circumstantial, that there is no one definitive answer.

What you should be asking for, is a set of guidelines that pertain to this message board. And how the members of this message board should conduct themselves when replying to the topic of suicide on this message board.

But just how strict do you want to make that code of conduct? Would you take away another person's right to speak, or give their opinion? And just who is it that gets to decide if what was said was actually a violation, even if the person who wrote it meant something completely different then how it was interpreted? Should that person be banned, just because they were misunderstood? Should every single person on this message board who even mentioned/mentions they either had or are contemplating suicide, be treated as some poor lost soul in desperate need of help? What if that person knows deep down inside, they'd never actually do such a thing, but they still think about it on occasion? Does that truly make them a desperate person crying out for help?

Um. . . , I do believe that in my first reply to this thread, I mentioned that I myself have contemplated suicide on and off for many years. But to be honest, if a bunch of people started attacking me with "don't kill yourself!!!" posts, that would drive me nuts, because I don't see myself as someone desperately crying out for help. Someone who gets tired of all the ** drama of life at times, maybe. Or someone who knows what I've got waiting for me on the other side, perhaps. But a desperate soul trying to make one last plea for help, I think not. Personally, I'd be far more irritated over people getting the wrong impression of me, then I would be grateful for their encouragement for me not doing something I already know deep down inside that I won't do (at least not with out a damn good reason).

And while we're on the subject. What happens when someone who admits to thinking about suicide as one of the possibilities for him to achieve a certain goal, such as crossing over into another dimension, but then eventually gets banned himself for reacting to his entire thread being deleted by one of the mods? This really happened on this very message board not too long ago. I actually got this person to start opening up to me via PMs, and was trying to help him be more interested in living in the dimension he was born into. But now, I can't even help him anymore because he dared to say "Shame on you" to the person who deleted his thread. Though I must admit, I only know his side of the story after he created a second account, just to tell me what happened before saying his good bye to me. But he's never been back since. Would banning a person who admitted he might eventually give suicide a try if all his other attempts to achieve his goal failed, not be considered irresponsible, regardless if he upset someone with the power to ban him?

By the way, is that the thread you've been referring to???