View Single Post
Old 18-12-2022, 01:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Flux
If a teacher gives me a precise instruction, then that makes it easier to follow the instruction. I'm just looking at my experience through the lens of what I already know.
If a teacher gives an instruction, then why? If there has to be a reason why we do the thing in this particular way. A good teacher understands both the value and the difficulty of self determination. They won't allow blind faith and obedience. You do it because it makes sense to you. Not because you obey anyone else. That comes with the discomfort of uncertainty and doubt, so people don't like it, and that enables the majority of spiritual organisations that depend on power, blind faith and obedience.

I know I'm pedantic with the whole precision thing, but on the other hand I don't abide by saying flowery things and passing them off as wisdom. I prefer people who can unpack things in elaborate detail, and that's how things go naturally if there's no pomp and pretension. It starts with an umbrella concept, and then the discussion about that. If it is a reasonable one, the conversation unpacks 'surrender' into to the actual things it refers. You surrender your will. Be willing rather that willful. As it happens, this is the essence of other spiritual slogans like 'just be' and 'let go'

Then we have the counter. Clinging, resisting, avoiding, pursuing, all references the exertion of will... in opposition to willingness

If people don't want detail and think a more whimsical reference is better. I don't understand that at all. My view is the wise with understanding can express nuance through in depth discussion. I assume the ambiguous either don't understand the nuances or they aren't eloquent enough to articulate them. For me personally, it's a preference for the people that can explain a bit more deeply and elaborate on minor details, but as I say. I have a more pedantic personality than average, and that's just a trait of mine. I'm not claiming to be right and everyone else needs to be more like me... wait... I mean, that would be nice and they'd be so much better off, so I really do try, but it's not easy!