View Single Post
Old 18-04-2013, 10:13 PM
LotusRise

The Magic of Believing by Claude M. Bristol, published in 1948. I'm reading a 1965 print of it. I think it'll easily be in my personal top 10 of all-time. I am blown away that this information has existed since 1948. This material is relevant today.

I love how the author, Claude Bristol, speaks of a "possible future moonlanding," (so weird to read of in terms of something that hadn't and wouldn't occur for another 21 years, when to me, it happened eons ago), how new age thought is still not widely accepted in 1948 (in 2013 many of us are STILL looked on as quacks ... I would venture to say it's still not fully mainstream).

Many old books aren't as readable as newer books, because the author's way of speaking is so old-fashioned, but there's no such issue with this book. You feel like Bristol is speaking right to you in plain English, and his thoughts and ideas are so ahead of their time.

It started out as a brochure, and he was finally encouraged to put it into book form. I feel lucky that the world even has this book, as he passed away only three short years later in 1951.