Thread: Playing In Dirt
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2018, 04:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
What wonderful surprises in the morning.

I was pulling weeds the other day and noticed my blackberry canes are loaded with buds and blossoms. First time in almost 15 years! I was so discouraged with it I stopped watering and fertilizing it. Now I will give it the attention it deserves! Can you imagine??? Fresh sweet blackberries in Colorado!

Wondering why it took so long to produce? Anyone know anything about blackberries?
do you know if your soil is acidic? Black berries and raspberries grow wild like weeds here. Typically in spots where other plants won't grow with no special care. But they like acidic soil.
For the last 3 years I have been trying to grow a sage bush with less than good results. It grows 4 to 6" then seems to dry up. But it will grow new shoots away from the main plant and the same will happen to the new shoots. After 3 years I have a large mat of 6" tall of sage bush. Since what you said about your black berries has me assuming that the soil here might be to acidic for sage to grow well. You ever test your soil pH? If you have or do. I would like to see what it is in Colorado. The only thing benifiting from the sage problem are the birds. I see them picking out the dead strands for there nest. So it always looks well maintained. Maybe there cleansing there nest from negative things. Lol