View Single Post
Old 25-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEmbers
An acquaintance of mine was telling me about a time in his life spent overseas as a young adult where he was constantly in very close proximity to those he worked with everyday.
Essentially it was a tight knit community which worked and lived together (I am reluctant to use the term commune here lol)... any way... a very different experience to what I and he himself were familiar with as a "rural bred Australians".

Anywho, he was speaking in a sense of the transition from identifying as an introvert to sort of having to adapt to a situation which requires a fair degree of extroversion...

It all makes me wonder all the more about human adaptability...

Hmmm furthermore it makes me wonder about my identity as a "country kid" familiar with the wide open spaces and quite at home with the isolation that comes with my own cultural identity...

Adaptability... its something that makes us so success as humans... it often feels that it seems to trump concrete beliefs of identity.

I see how this in some ways as a way to push you out of your own comfort zone. Sometimes a change of scenery is good change for self and its own normal orientation. Some of my biggest cues of awareness was when I was thrust in places uncomfortable, foreign and needing to take care of myself without much support or those comforts. Kind of opening up fully in ways where I had no choice but to face what was wanting to open up in me with the world and others.

Shaking things up tends to open up how we can adapt as humans, much like your friend shows. When the environment calls for it, sometimes you just have to dive in and learn how you can be, rather than how you think you are.

In some ways changing environments or changing things up, as I am learning and have learned, can bring wide open those aspects in you that think they don't fit, think they have to struggle, think they have to be a certain way, only to open a space of realization that we can find it within us in everyway of believing that everything we do need is in us to reach in and find. Again not holding yourself defined by your familiar nature.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder