Thread: Contemplation
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Guide
Oh, so many reasons... Western culture only touches upon the matters of death and birth indirectly, and with a hundred-yard pole. The angst, the sorrow-- well, of course, we so often perceive the dead (and spirit) to be distinctly separate from us, millions of light-years away in some untouchable realm when of course that is not the case at all.

You described it perfectly and succinctly in your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Just as life on the other side gave birth to this life. They are all part of the same process; when we die as human beings we go to a place that is very familiar to us, even if we have forgotten that familiarity. On some level, in some way, we have been there before, and it is our forgetfulness which may cause the angst.

Would human life lose its’ value if we remembered? Why consider the other side to be more precious, or human life to be more precious than the other side? There would be no human existence without the spiritual world and evidently human existence has some value to the spiritual world. There is a symbiotic relationship between the two, and actually the two are one.

When I first learned how to do quiet meditation I had a very profound and powerful experience, a feeling like no other which I previously had, and in my silent meditation one word escaped from my mouth, a word with no thoughts attached, and that word was “home.” It felt like home in ways like I have never experienced home before, and it was right within me all the while; even as I searched for it elsewhere.
^ All so very true. Death is a door.... We are traveling homeward. I feel the 'spiritual world' is simply a reflection of the physical.

And as for selfishness, well..There is always the dull, gnawing ache (after someone dies) upon realizing that any one can be taken from you at any time. And that they were never yours. That and the seemingly random and chaotic manner in which death waltzes in, out and between-- I for one have always experienced a brief ego-panic in the past when hearing about a death of an acquaintance. As if, by mere proximity, death has touched me as well. (So yes, much of our angst is less about them and more about us!)

..Though in New Orleans, at least, there's sometimes jazz funerals! c:

I definitely do not want a mournful funeral... I want a wake in Ireland, I want a drunken moonlight garden party with howling wolves and a live band playing impassioned and joyful renditions of some of my old favorite songs. Afterward they can plant a tree on my grave..somewhere near a river, or the sea..And release these floating paper fire lanterns at twilight, with their hearts' dearest wishes pinned upon them for my spirit to bless and see. c: