View Single Post
Old 25-02-2021, 12:15 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade

Once you get the human out of the way a far deeper Spirituality emerges all on its own.

What do you think Advaita is all about? LOL!

Concerning Work as Witness it serves some of the same purpose as Right Thought in that it's centered around selflessness. Work for God aligns more with the devotional path whereas Work as Witness aligns more with the knowledge and contemplative paths.

It is said Advaita is very similar to Mahayana Buddhism and I'm somewhat familiar with the Eightfold Path and Four Noble Truths and see the parallels.

For instance Karma Yoga is meant to bring about purity of mind and Raja Yoga clarity of mind. That covers right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration and right thought. Right understanding and the Four Noble Truths are largely in the realm of Jnana Yoga.

Here's how I see it coming together in the two traditions. The psychological aspects are within the realms of Karma & Raja Yoga in Advaita and the Eightfold path minus Right Understanding in Buddhism. They are preparatory for the understanding of Jnana Yoga in Advaita and Right Understanding and the Four Noble Truths in Buddhism.

As I see it both are complete systems and both eventually lead beyond mind, beyond the psychological aspects, beyond even the traditions themselves.

https://tricycle.org/magazine/noble-eightfold-path/

RIGHT UNDERSTANDING

Right understanding is the understanding of things as they are, and it is the four noble truths that explain things as they really are. Right understanding therefore is ultimately reduced to the understanding of the four noble truths. This understanding is the highest wisdom which sees the Ultimate Reality. According to Buddhism there are two sorts of understanding. What we generally call “understanding” is knowledge, an accumulated memory, an intellectual grasping of a subject according to certain given data. This is called “knowing accordingly” (anubodha). It is not very deep. Real deep understanding or “penetration” (pativedha) is seeing a thing in its true nature, without name and label. This penetration is possible only when the mind is free from all impurities and is fully developed through meditation.

That last underlined bit sounds like purity and clarity of mind (AKA the psychological components) being only a preparatory step, doesn't it? I understand Jung lifted some of the psychological components from Eastern philosophy but I'm not sure where I see the Ineffable component in Jungian psychology. I think you might be saying it's the unconscious but that doesn't work for me because that's also of mind and the effable. There has to be something I'm missing because I don't see a liberation/realization component in psychology in general or Jungian psychology specifically.

The one possibility is the Theravada tradition which is considered the mind-only school of Buddhism whereas the Mahayana tradition is considered the emptiness school of Buddhism, and as I said Advaita tracks closely with the Mahayana tradition.

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 26-02-2021 at 11:13 AM.