View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
I feel it was Maa Saraswati who brought me to Krishna. But in the beginning I did not feel a closeness. I still occasionally feel like I really don't know him, but I know he knows me. It may be because I am so unlike him... I am more like Thor, whom I do pray to... but I pray and do puja daily to Krishna that he help me become more like him... compassionate, patient (something I fail at), calm and easy-going, tolerant, not easily ruffled.

Sometimes I feel like the archetypal "antihero" of books and movies. Y'know, the guy who wants to do the right thing but his faults get in the way. All the while the mentor is watching patiently for the moment when the antihero finds his way. Segue to an episode of Xena Warrior Princess called The Way. Don't laugh, it was a good episode. I sprang for the $1.99 or $3.99 to download it from Xfinity. She goes to India and meets Hanuman and Krishna. Krishna instructs Xena on what is her way, and that she must follow it, even though she disapproves of herself. All the while Krishna is patient and understanding.

That episode is soooo me.

I love references to Krishna in nonreligious material. Like in Batman: Gotham Knight, episode 5 when Batman goes to India to find a way to deal with his pain, there was a picture of the four armed Vishnu on the wall of the place of the one who trained him. In Batman: The TellTale series, in Selina's apartment you find a copy of The Gita Govinda. Neil Gaiman, a prominent graphic novelist also features much of the Hindu pantheon in his works, and I recall my friend telling me a story where a little girl, who was the incarnation of Kali was protecting a pregnant woman from G-men. The woman was pregnant with none other than Krishna himself.

I can relate to feeling like an anti-hero, and I liked how you described it too. I consider stories like Buddha and Angulimala, a sort of Saul turned Paul story with more insight, to be very helpful. Much of the beauty of Krishna is how much grace He shows in handling even the most wicked figures. As far as patience. That was the first lesson I learned, when I was still a Christian. Nature can teach you much.