View Single Post
Old 30-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
Do you think the brain of a schizophrenic person differs from that of a "normal" person?
And that medicine helps to make the schizophrenic person act more normal?

Glad you put normal in inverted commas.

i don't see an either/or - i take a genuinely integral/holistic view - mind/body/soul/spirit.

Schizophrenia is largely an umbrella term - there may be 20 or more things going on with people so labelled.

i do think it's valid to study the brain, it's physiology/neurology - brain structure, function & development - & i do think that is part of the picture - i'm not opposed to a more comprehensive psychiatry, nor to a wise use of medications, & for some people i think medication is vital - i take medication as well.

Maybe in some cases people with a schizophrenia diagnosis are suffering primarily from some form of brain condition? Personally i think the primary aetiology is psychogenic (of the mind/psyche) in the majority of cases - but that wouldn't exclude physiological components.

i'd wager things are individual & complex, & i'd question if there is such a thing as schizophrenia as a specific/distinct disease pathology? i see it more as metaphor & diagnostic category.

There does appear to be some consensus that the condition is mediated across biologic, psychological & social/environmental areas (i'd also add spiritual/transpersonal).