View Single Post
Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Knower

In cognitive behavioral therapy, the model is that stimuli trigger thoughts and thoughts trigger emotions which lead to behaviors. That being said, the idea is that there is a space between where we can step in, re center ourselves, and make a decision about how we want to react to the thought. The key to changing our emotions then becomes changing our thoughts. If we focus more on the positive, practice self compassion, and change patterns of thought around
problem areas in our life, then we naturally begin to feel differently about life circumstances and situations that we find ourselves in repeatedly. This information comes from my time spent in therapy over the years. I can’t decide whether you believe or not, but it’s a respected model among psychotherapists.

For example, killing the chicken. One might think, “this is inhumane!” And feel sad for the chicken. However, one could see a chicken killed and decide to think differently, saying internal “this is the circle of life. I am grateful to the chicken for its sacrifice.” This could trigger a feeling of gratitude, wonder, or respect for the chicken over repeated exposures.

I have had a hard time accepting this model in my life because it seems to center on the rational parts of the brain, a typical western pitfall. However, combined with meditation, which can soothe the centers of feeling in our bodies, allow us to remain grounded, and centered within ourself as opposed to pushed around and buffeted by strong emotions, I have found it instructive and helpful. Just my two cents.

Love and light your way,

FoxTracks