View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:14 AM
Lepus

Hello

Scott Cunninghan did use the term Wicca for his book title: Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.

The etymology of witch derives from the plural word wicche which traces back to wicca or wicce. Wicca was a term refered to a male sorcerer and wicce a female sorcerer. But it wasn't until modern witches used the term Wicca to refer both male and female. Same for witch but some would refer a witch to a female only; consequently, several practitioners - in paricular the males - adopted the term warlock or other gender exclusive label. I personally go with warlock instead of witch but that's just me. And I'm aware of the negative connotations the word warlock carries. Same could be said with the word witch.

Although I don't follow Wicca anymore I still appreciate what Wicca has to offer. I mean I still follow traditional witchcraft and incorporate ceremonial magic into my practice. I believe in multiple deities and the Earth being sacred. You would think that I'm Wiccan, but not necessarily, because I don't follow any tenets nor a specific deity from an established tradition. I am drawn to the chthonic aspect which is something that Wicca disregard or ignores. And the community mainly the solitary or ecclectic practitioners have completely changed what Wicca used to be which is why many trad witches don't associate themselves with Wicca. So Wiccan and Witch is often used interchangeably. And there's the threefold law that is always spewed by the Wiccan community, which like Jenny said, took it out of context. There's the stigmatization of labeling oneself a witch or warlock in Wicca. So there's that. For these reasons, I left Wicca a long time ago.

Lepus