View Single Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:33 PM
AnnoyingPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamist
But when children are being diagnosed with a problem just because they would rather be outside than in a setting where they are forced to sit down and obey obey obey and the teacher isn't connecting with them and their unique personality? Idk. I think that needs to be looked into. Maybe some kids really don't like the traditional structure of school and would like to do something and be in situations where they can be free to utilize their natural God given talents instead of, "You HAVE to use my way of getting this problem solved or else your wrong!" or "Why are they doing this when everyone's do that? Argh! I can't take this! I think your kid needs to be put on something."

This is what alternative schools/homeschooling is for. The only problem is that the parents need to be prepared to either pay big $$$ (which my family does not have) or spend a LOT of time drilling your children. Homeschooling can be just as rigorous, if not even more rigorous, as regular school. (But you probably learn more. I spent a year homeschooling so I wouldn't have to deal with a crazy teacher, and I learned more that year than I did in the following grade.)

On the other hand, diagnoses are helpful because they can help you get a 504 plan constructed for your child. 504 plans basically cater to kids who have problems in the classroom environment. You can request things like an option to go to a quiet room or to be seated in the front of the room instead of the back.

Last edited by AnnoyingPony : 28-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.