View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro5139
Where I work, we are overwhelmed with cases and I know this is true of the entire area. People are signing up for mental health services and having to wait for weeks or even months. The psychiatric hospitals here are turning people away that they shouldn't be turning away because there just aren't enough beds. Yes, mental health is skyrocketing.

It would be remarkable if mental health problems in the US were significantly fewer than in the UK.

Here we're repeatedly told a huge backlog of all manner of health issues has built up since the start of 2020, mental health included. And mental health provision was poor well before the pandemic with routine waiting times of many months. Unless I've misunderstood the situation a wait of weeks to see a mental health practitioner was almost unheard of.

But now the mental pressures brought on by the changes encountered and enforced since early 2020 are said to have resulted in a huge number of sufferers - including youngsters - additional to the already high numbers routinely having to wait months for help.

In the UK we're desperately short of medical staff in just about every field and that's especially the case in mental health provision. Although the pandemic is beginning to come under a measure of control the new problems it has brought will stress test all our medical services for years to come. And will stress our already fragile economy, post Brexit, just as much.

The outcome is likely to be citizens presenting with emotional and mental health problems at an unprecedented level.