View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Still Waters,

Thanks....:) Just a word of caution when we say 'question everything'. That is OK if everything actually means everything. Our questioning IMO generally exhibits a bias to the negative. We often question the very things we see or experience unless it can be demonstrated to be scientifically true. IMO this is limiting.....it becomes impossible to believe the miraculous unless we personally experience it. It becomes an impediment to believing 'that all things are possible'. Admittedly some things simply suggest taking a step of faith. Many things have been achieved by 'dreaming the impossible dream'.

I was struck by your honest words in a previous post: "I was a Phi Beta Kappa top student in college and getting past the "intellectual" was one of my most formidable obstacles." Perhaps getting past the intellectual is also getting by science ? We should not be restricted by what we know or what we think we know. Even as broad and comprehensive as it might be our POV is always limited to extents that we cannot realize or comprehend>

When I first questioned what my spiritual mentor was saying, it was indeed with a "bias to the negative", as you duly indicated. In time, as her words rang true despite my initial skepticism, the questioning took more of a "don't rule this out" flavor as the negative bias slowly but surely vanished. Eventually, instead of questioning, I started to check out ways to validate what was being said as the pieces to the puzzle of life gradually started to fall into place.

Good point though !