Thread: God in Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I think Mooji ...Tolle seems... krishnamurti is ...

I'm not sure how I'd judge various teachers as I don't know them personally. I just contemplate their teachings. Even Buddha and Jesus, I'd have to know them in real life, spend some weeks with them 24/7 to get an idea of the kind of beings they really were. Anybody can spout "truths" and such. A skill really that does not say anything about what they really are. But I know what teachings ring true to me, based on my experience, and those that have a value to me. But as you point out, some very wise teachers turn out to have done very bad things. So intellectual understanding is only a part of the equation. A small part. The highest truths can be captured and twisted up with an ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I see it as improper to sell spiritualism, but this is a capitalist world, so I guess it's just the way it works... However, riches come and go.

Money and power and fame. Really the fact such great spiritual writers and teachers have been caught having multiple affairs and such with their students is a good lesson. It means it is a fact one can know truth and not live it. Two different things. One can read and study Krishnamurti or Buddhism or whatever for years, intellectually get the philosophy, understand it well enough to give lectures on it, understand it well enough to start a community and get followers and be the "master" and still be a narcissistic vain egotist. But there will always be people impressed with an act, a robe, with a beard, with a shaved head, with some title, with a guru with an organization and followers. Impressed with someone who talks the talk... unfortunately a lot of people are harmed as these masters don't realty walk the walk... but then there is a lesson in going through that as well.