View Single Post
Old 22-07-2020, 05:04 AM
Pathfinder

Good evening (or Good morning, as this post will be finished probably after midnight here) everyone! I just wanted to share with you this photograph of the current progress of the reconstruction of the Maple Living-Room at the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoe Selo, Russia.

Quite a few of my memories revolve around this room. When I first had any awareness of the possibility that I could have been Alexei Romanov in my past life, this room was one of the first rooms I saw a photograph of. It was a black and white photograph from the 1930's and I knew I had been there before. I knew the colours most of all. There were written descriptions from the time period, and after as well but in my head I had a very set image. I painted a few watercolours of it, and when the autochrome negatives surfaced (two made of the room - early colour photography chemical process) I was very amazed that I had gotten it right. I had this very clear recollection of the ceiling and how there was a green ring around the white center. It was one of Alexei's favourite rooms - next to the Parade Enfilade and his Playroom upstairs on the Children's Floor. It was the family's informal living-room and was a place for meals, tea-time, relaxing, as well as, the visits of dignitaries where the Empress would have receptions with them. That carpet (yet to be installed) was ridiculously soft. It was perfect for laying on. The one thing I remember most is the way the sunlight came through the tall windows. I have this one memory where I'm running at what feels like break-neck speed (to a small child, that makes sense lol) through Mama's rooms. The sunlight is sparkling through them, lighting the big rooms - and the Maple Living-Room sticks out to me in that memory. The way the sunlight hit the curtains, and glimmered off the polished wooden decorations. The smell of the polish which was heady. And the distinct smell of ink and lemons. Mama would have tons of flowers and plants in this room - well in all of her rooms to be honest. This room though had the most flowers and plants. The rainbows the sunlight made in the glass panes on the balcony (it was called an Entresol back then or Mezzanine). At night it was entirely transformed with soft lighting from behind the high ceiling. It was like a fairy world - that's the best way to describe it.

When I saw this photograph (accompanied with a video), I froze and let out a audible gasp. It felt like my heart stopped for a moment and I heard music out of nowhere. It was faint but cheerful music. It was familiar but I couldn't tell you the title of the piece. The video which is a 360 degree view of the room... I had a spontaneous memory of spinning around quickly, and the ceiling spinning much faster than it was in the video.

Anyways, before this turns into a small novel (as my posts are wont to do), I just wanted to share this small but wonderful experience with you all.

Love to you all!