View Single Post
Old 23-09-2022, 06:38 AM
Master
Yes without self. How will 'seeking' fit in with a selfless observer?

It would be 'seeking into' rather than a 'seeking for'. Seeking into is looking deeply. E.g. if you feel something, you can also feel the smaller feelings that make up the larger feeling. Hence one is not seeking feeling that is not present now, but looking more deeply at the feeling that is.

Because I am pedantic and I know it, I resist elaborations as much as I can, but I can't help dissecting this notion of self because selfless or no self or non-self is pretty specific in practice.

The essential understanding is how ego is constructed. How do we maintain a false sense of self for so long without once noticing it is 'not-me'? I imply it is something we do; and therefore, selflessness is ceasing to do those things.

In meditation, ceasing to do that which perpetuates the ego is the outcome of the 'just observe' principle. Of course add ons like counting, controlling etc are self-generated, so it logically follows, don't do that.

It's actually easy to not do the intentional, volitional activities arising from surface level desires and aversions, but unintentional ones will happen. For example if you trained meditation with counting, that will keep happening unintentionally, no problem, just don't intentionalise it anymore.

The hard category is compulsion. You get uncomfortable, start reacting, and before you know it the mind has lost 'just observe what is' and started trying to make it 'as I want it to be'. Notice where 'I' lands in that paradigm?