View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Master
Fish What's the point of guided meditation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
You see....what's the point of guided meditation? How can someone meditate with someone else telling them what to think, see, feel etc, the whole time.
That isn't meditation.

I can understand its use for a first-timer but beyond that meditation is individual. If someone wants to meditate silently or with, say, their choice of music / nature sound,
they have to practice the disciplines to still themselves enough to do it. Someone telling them what to do is leading them down a route that isn't their own.

But....I'm always ready to be informed....

I like what you're saying as it makes perfect sense. For me, I listen to his teaching, and then follow his guided meditation which is really kind of a hypnotic suggestion so the teaching goes really deep into my subconscious. So later on when I do my solo meditation without any guidance, that download is already there deep in my being and intuitively (consciously or unconsciously) it will come up again and things just go deeper and deeper as I work with my inner guidance or allow it to work on me.

And being his disciple, the sound of his voice always triggers a very powerful effect on Kundalini within me.

And the other thing is no matter that I have been meditating my whole life, for every meditation I do I take the attitude that I am a total beginner. That too takes me deeper into myself.

Today I'm really excited about this teaching where he goes into the mastery of the senses and the elements - which is the whole background to the constant chatter in my mind:

Quote:
"When you begin to look at the relationship between manas - these indryias (these powers of the senses and these elements which are called bhutas) when you begin to look at that relationship, you're coming now into the place where you can really learn to have a harmonious relationship with the elements of Nature and the powers of your senses. And that is extremely exciting to say the least! Then your senses come alive, you know how to power them up, and you know how to develop a harmonious relationship with the world around you. Then smelling and eating and tasting and seeing and touching and hearing becomes exciting!" ~ Sri Vasudeva, Sept 1/17

But it's interesting to hear how other people approach this and I'm always open to new ideas.