View Single Post
Old 14-02-2021, 02:34 AM
Knower
Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I assume you accept comments on your "unpopular opinions" (?).

Everybody should be able to do whatever they want as long as they do not harm others. On the other hand, nobody is entitled to be taken care of as long as they can take care of themselves.

The case when one chooses not to take care of themselves, they aren't entitled to support (even when they believe otherwise).

But, if the community considers such individuals good for society (e.g. spiritually), or if it determines them insane, that community can take action, in the limits of the law and constitutional rights of the individual, to provide them with living means, respectively lock them up.

Ooh, this thread is fun. I also agree everyone should be able to do what they want so long as they harm no one, but I have some opinions on the other things mentioned.

I think.. people are entitled to a certain amount of "care"; not from individuals, but from the government they live under. I believe that in providing a universal basic income, universal health care, and free education, a society will have a foundation for every adult starting their life to have a fair shot at creating a decent life for themselves and then contributing back to society.

I do not believe you have to work for everything; it is OK to be provided for and helped to a certain extent. It's hard to make something of yourself if you are coming from a background of poverty and have very few resources, so I think you should be guaranteed some basic necessities when you come into this world. If we take care of people, they will have more to give back to society.

I also wanted to comment on some of my personal philosophy unrelated to what was posted above. I am a firm believer that all forms of corporal punishment should be universally banned and I am a firm believer that infant circumcision should be universally banned outside of medical emergencies in which it would be required. Both corporal punishment and any form of cosmetic infant modification are cruel violations against the bodily autonomy of children and I believe there is no reason these two practices should continue to be legal and accepted in modern society.

I also believe we should stop seeing animals as "food" and recognize them as life being taken and living blood being shed every time the decision is made to slaughter one. If we recognized ALL animals as life that feels pain and suffers and not just cats and dogs and had laws protecting them from inhumane treatment, factory farms would not be able to get away with the insane and mind shattering cruelty they commit every day.