View Single Post
Old 14-07-2021, 06:24 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Saying that unicorns don't exist means that unicorns exist, you can't say something doesn't exist unless it does exist. .

I'd take this to mean there's different types of existence: unicorns don't exist physically (realism?). But we need to have the idea of them existing in our imagination in order to discuss them (nominalism?).

Quote:
Your contemplation is a long way from loopy, in terms of this thread it's quite sane in comparison. .

Ha ha, this was my love of double entendre. It does twist my mind trying to understand this stuff, but it's also like a 'strange loop' (see wikipedia for details).

Quote:
Non-existence does exist because you're talking about it, if it didn't exist how could you talk about it?

So non-existence is also part of the realm of existence? In that case, existence has no opposite. In fact, that's true either way: if non-existence (ie nothing) does exist, it's not opposite to existence. If non-existence doesn't exist, then it's also not in opposition (or duality) to existence. So existence is the absolute. This, here and now, is the absolute.

Quote:
What are you conscious of? That's the question that makes sense of it all.
I'm conscious of This (being). Sometimes it appears as separate from me, the observer, sometimes not. The me observing my own consciousness is also a strange loop: non-existence, existing. I am a self-reference, a paradox.

I'm stopping now because I need a lie down with a wet towel on my head.

Last edited by snowyowl : 14-07-2021 at 08:58 PM.