View Single Post
Old 13-06-2021, 07:10 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
You state that it's bonkers to ponder on non-duality because it acknowledges duality. While finding it amusing to watch. And yet try to imply that your non judgmental and reinforce that idea by saying that it's wrong thinking or not right thinking.
That's like a double negative of judgement. Since you like to speak of Psychology, Your saying that only your way of thinking is right and anyone who doesn't think like you is wrong. To the point that you find it amusing to watch as an attempt to put them down.
What Psychology term would be applied to such a person?
It is amusing sometimes, especially in the context that one of the mainstays of Spirituality is awareness. If people were a bit more aware of what they were saying then maybe we wouldn't have a non-Duality discussion - maybe we'd be talking about beyond Duality instead.

What I said was that the case for non-duality doesn't make sense and to me it's neither common sense nor logic. If you think that's judgement then be my guest, but that's your perceptions and your choice. If you actually think about the term 'non-Duality' you'll understand what I'm trying to say - what's being said there is that the duality that you acknowledge the existence of doesn't exist. How is that sensible? The case for non-existence is nonsense.

By using the word you acknowledge that it exists and most of the arguments against duality are dualistic themselves. How is that Right Thinking? I enjoy the philosophical discussion but I need it to make sense, I can't make sense of a dualistic non-duality discussion. If you can see reason and logic in that, be my guest because I'd really enjoy reading it. To me, it's bonkers and maybe what we need to do is look to the thinking instead of reinforcing the personal dogma/narratives.

Perhaps if we were more aware of what was actually being discussed? Because the discussion of Duality is not about Duality and the discussion of non-Duality is not about non-Duality.

Quote:
Spirituality and Psychology is meant to coincide. Psychology of today isn't the same Psychology of before. Psychology today is in the name of science and science should also coincide with spirituality. Now science disowned and tries to disprove spiritually.
Science isn't interested in disproving Spirituality and many scientists are either Spiritual or religious. Jung was a scholar of Advaita Vedanta and that's where he took his model of both the self and the ego from. He described the self as "The God inside" because the self was the resolution of the paradox between the conscious and the unconscious. Einstein, as with many others, believed in God and still believe in God. Scientists can live with religion/Spirituality but few Spiritual people can live with science. Max Planck used science to say that God must exist and hinted that the Universal Field of quantum theory is God - and if you look at both the science and the religion they're not so far apart after all.

I'm sure most scientists have better things to do than try to debunk Spirituality. Spirituality is built on the framework of psychology and they're two very different areas of understanding. Beliefs can be anything anyone wants them to be and are the end result of the processing of the unconscious - which is largely what you are.

Science moves forwards when concepts are debunked, when people challenge the established trains of thought. That's what Jung did but Jung didn't sit on his beliefs, he took the scientific approach to understanding. How many Spiritual people do the same? How many are willing enough to put their beliefs aside in the light of new information/thinking?

How many are going to talk about understanding beyond both Duality and not-Duality?

Quote:
Mind, body, and soul should be the spiritual way. All these chain of events has also changed the way spiritually is treated.
Spirituality is the "What?" and psychology is the "How?"

Quote:
All the greats Buddha, Lao Tzu, Jesus, etc etc all spoke of the mind, body and soul. I learned more about "psychology" way before I ever touched a psychology book. I still don't like how psychology is today.
They all had a firm grasp of what we in the West call psychology. The Right Thinking of the Eightfold Path is mostly constructive cognitive behaviour, for instance. The religion/philosophy of the Indus Valley went into what we call psychology in great detail. If you want to understand the ego from a Spiritual perspective then Ahamkara is the place to go, and what you'll find there is what we call psycho9logy - especially when you delve into Chitta.

Quote:
I think paradox seems to be used a tad to lighly so far, but paradox just as so many other words has created to much of a subjective nature.
I am glad you decided join the thread instead of watching from the bench.
You can use the word 'dichotomy' if you like, I've seen that thrown about in similar threads. Duality and paradox are pretty much the same thing, it's 'this' vs 'that' but it's not the way it works, 'this' vs 'that' gives us something else again. So Spirituality and psychology are a duality/paradox but putting them both together makes for a very different Spirituality. Maybe that's why we are so far apart from Buddha, Jesus and so many others - maybe it's because they embraced their understanding of psychology and used it to their benefit and didn't ignore it and let it bite them on the backside.

So putting psychology and Spirituality together, Duality is the differentiated conscious of the ego while so-called non-Duality is the undifferentiated conscious of the self - the self has solved the paradox of conscious vs unconscious to 'create' consciousness. There is no inherent Duality in the discussion of Spirituality and psychology until one is created out of.... what?