Thread: God in Buddhism
View Single Post
Old 29-08-2020, 05:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
With superstition I specifically refer to concepts such as 'karma', 'samsara' and 'nirvana' (if defined as a lasting state of perfection without any possibility for suffering). There is no science that supports such concepts, that something takes on the body of a rat and then a blade of grass, worm, human, etc., spider collecting 'karma' when eating a bug, or human becoming 'all-knowing' when doing years of meditation. If however you only refer to breathing, impermanence than sure, but from what I have understood 'dhamma'/'dharma' is not just about that.

Well, people are superstitions about kamma and so on. I don't know what samsara is and I'm not interested enough to try and find out. If there's no reason to believe these things, then don't. Such beliefs are unimportant. Important things are like honesty, equanimity, attentivness, insight, deepening wisdom, being generous and kind hearted. Real things...

If I say dhamma I mean 'the way things are' or 'the way nature is'... and I might say 'dhamma teaching' which means Buddha's teaching about natures way... but I don't promote believing dhamma teachings. It's not necessary. What's necessary is discernment: the ability to discover what is true, and differentiate truth from what is untrue.