View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 01:25 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
I am normally not the type of person to complain about meat. But today I cooked 3lbs of frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs in the crock pot. (The cheap stuff I was cooking for work). I didn't add anything at all to the chicken. When it was done cooking there was enough water in it to make chicken soup. How can 3lbs pounds of chicken turn into 1 1/2lbs? The rest was mostly water. I understand cooking beef, the fat cooks off. But there was no fat on the chicken. It's just really weird to me.
Does organic chicken do the same thing?? I have made chicken thighs with the bone and skin many times and never had that much water.

There used to be a time when chicken was injected with water and/or broth to increase both it's overall size and also its weight, effectively leaving us buying water rather than meat. Might that be the case for you?

I always look for cuts with labels indicating "Less than 3% retained water." but when I've not looked carefully enough and bought the wrong stuff I've found that lots of water is lost when cooking, huge amounts of steam released from the contact grill I use routinely. 15% added broth isn't uncommon in US grocery stores. I find the meat is wet/greasy and over-soft after cooking, more like slow-cooker meat.

I haven't cooked any organic chicken but labelling should disclose what's been added, if anything. And the word 'organic' may mean something different from what we'd perhaps expect it to mean.