View Single Post
Old 23-12-2020, 03:02 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Actually, Swami Sarvapriyana was taking courses at Harvard prior to the pandemic so he wasn't in NYC as often while he was taking courses. I am not sure where he is now, but we had substitute teachers for a while.

You are correct that I am in Brooklyn. If you should visit the Vedanta Society once it opens again after the pandemic, send me a private message as I would be very receptive to meeting you at the Vedanta Society. Incidentally, I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years and they used to have great vegetarian meals after the service when the center was open.

P.S. I also attended a few of Sarvapriyananda's lectures on Gaudapada's Katrika on the Mandukya Upanishad. It has been stated that Shankaracharya explicitly said that, if a person was to read one and only one Upanishad, it should be the very short Mandukya Upanishad. That is one of my favorites as it led me to the conscious sleep practice whereby one can really "Know Yourself" by remaining aware during the three states of man (deep sleep, dream formation, the so-called waking state which is not really "awake" for most) and the transitions between the three states. The fourth state, Turiya, thus becomes clearer.

When the pandemic and its restrictions lessen and in-person lectures resume in Manhattan I'm definitely going to some and I'd love to coordinate attending where practical and schedules permit!

I too am very fond of the Mandukya Upanishad. Deep dreamless sleep is not the absence of experience but the experience of absence.

Back in 2015 and before I came across Vedanta I practiced techniques to induce lucid dreaming for half a year and with some success. I recently decided to take those practices back up and had the best LD yet several nights back. It was spontaneous too. No reality check needed. It just instantly dawned on me I was dreaming and I remembered to rub my hands together and say "I am dreaming" several times, thus stabilizing lucidity and extending the LD for as much of the dream as I could recall. Prospective memory was on the ball. LOL!

There's one site I'm a member of but haven't been active since 2015 called dreamviews and with several very skilled lucid dreamers. One member offers free courses in Dream Yoga with a separate sub-forum for techniques, exercises, reports, etc...