View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kine Lea
Echovox - The pitfalls of the Bandwagon, I guess! ... (pun intended)

I read on one other thread where you said something about germanium diodes where found to be more sensitive than their counterparts. This I found very interesting, but only in passing.
I can't help wonder about the aerial. What would happen if a small lump of germanium were wired directly into the receiver. The downside of course is the high price of this precious metal. However ...

I tuned into the youtube video you recommended, by the "Wizard" dude. But found it too difficult to listen to and only managed a few minutes. The scanning was too erratic and irritating to listen to, a more easier experience for the scanner, I'm sure.
Also, some of the voices gave me the willies. To put another way, the characters behind the voices seemed a little course, and belligerent. Not the kind of person I would normally wish to communicate with.

Cheers

ps I used to buy germanium diodes from a shop where the owner would call them "geraniums", with a big smile on his face. Not sure what I'm getting at ... just a little piece of trivia:)
The germaniun diode aerial/receiver has already been done by Konstantin Raudive.

I found an image of one once, let's see if I can find it again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raudive-039-...-/162122095169

Oh these voices are crass, rude, repugnant and give one the willies for sure - until you get to know them and talk to them.

I've lost count the number of times I have been told to 'eff off', until I said "no, you" and they are all nice to me now.

However, the best thing I want to try and modify is an all-band receiver which even picks up microwaves and air traffic control and car alarms...

http://www.techlib.com/electronics/allband.htm

Now that would be cool.