View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 05:37 PM
Master

completing the story

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralaro
Maharajji (Neem Karoli Baba) told this story, i'm recalling from memory since i couldn't find it again:

Shiva immediately appeared before him and said "You're my true devotee. Ask me for whatever you want".

The story you narrated is incomplete. So let me finish the story.

When the water was inundating the place every one was moving to a higher /safer place. 2-3 people came to the pundit to go to a higher safer place. But pundit said i am a true devotee of God and my God will save me. But the raging water caught up him and drowned him.

So when He met the Shiva in Heaven He asked the deity why was he not saved from raging river waters. To this shiva replied, you had 2-3 people came to you to guide to a safer place-what do you think who they were (meaning they were God sent people only which he failed to recognize) .

Expecting every time some miracle to be done by God expressly / explicitly is a folly and beyond a point insult too. God's help come after we are done with everything legitimately we can do it through resources at our disposal. God is embodiment of His laws of nature / sciences. Expecting Him to circumvent His own laws is more of childish. Of course the devotion pundit did is His sadhana / penance and will be there to his credit in his next birth.

Further He told the non-believer that you are my true devotee because He cared for the pundit who died and blamed the deity for it. So he had the real spirit of devotion viz caring for others. That's where He said is true devotee and NOT to reward the fact of non-belief in God. Of course non-believer may still have to do a lot to progress. Random successes or grace of God due karma may not qualify him to a true devotee.

Like chinese whispers loss of information may lead to distorted facts / conclusions. So just tried to complete the story.