View Single Post
Old 26-02-2024, 11:59 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Reading The Buddha's doctrine of Anatta - Not-self should help you.

I think at some point books are pointless. I think I have passed that point. I know all I would want to know from books about that subject. I would add knowledge can be pointless as well. Oh in fact, knowledge can stick one in delusion I think. That's my experience anyway. Why would one look in a book for something "spiritual" if one is not a person and is not seeking anything? I wonder if one could say knowledge and understanding are different. Hmmmm I think so as I think knowledge uses words usually and understanding is there even if words are not. But then knowledge is maybe the same thing as understanding, depends on the context I guess or how one wants to apply and use those words.

Not self seems like a baby step to me. If one does not know what is not self, well actually, few want to even think about such ideas or beliefs. Well maybe it's common in Buddhist countries. I think pretty much everything on earth is not self. If one is defining self as the true self I think. (True self is energy I think and most of here is physical or material.) But then true self is experiencing not self. Then the two are one for an incarnation. Maybe the best one can hope for is transcendence or non-identification with what is not self. But then that realization and experience is pretty nice as small of a step it is. And maybe it frees one from rebirth in physical form.