View Single Post
Old 19-03-2021, 01:05 AM
Suspended
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust
In daily life.

To paraphrase the Tao Te Ching and provide a answer from a Taoist perspective.

A monk asked Matsu, "why do you teach that mind is buddha".
Matsu said, "To stop a baby from crying"
The monk said, "When the crying has stopped, what then?"
Matsu said, "Then I teach, not mind, not Buddha"
The monk said, "how about someone who is not attached to either?"
Matsu said, "Then not being"
The monk said, "And what if you meet a man that is not attached to all things?"
Matsu said, "I would let him experience the great Dao"

------

My own modern interpretation of this verse from a egos perspective while keeping my answers inline with the response's above:

Matsu asked me, "why do you focus on silencing the mind?"
I reply, "When one obtains inner silence, they cannot truly be hurt, because without thought, how do you know that you are suppose to feel bad in the first place? Like a fish who does not know of the raging storm just above the sea, life moves on."

Matsu asked me, "When you have obtained inner silence, what then?"
I reply, "To partake in duality. I decide to choose a side. I become something. I choose what it is that I become, like a actor who finds its script, and becomes that character for better or worse."

Matsu asked me, "How about someone who is not attached to either?"
I reply, "To partake in duality, one must either care or not care. For a upper class to exist, a lower class must be created. For good to exist, the conception of evil must be manifested. This is to be. To not be is to give up all attachments to anything and everything."

Matsu asked me, "And what if you meet a man that is not attached to all things?"
I reply, "To experience all things. I choose not to follow any one, or be followed by anyone, I simply choose to exist and become one with eternity."