View Single Post
Old 16-08-2020, 03:35 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
In The Matrix, Agent Smith us interrogating Morpheus and describes mankind as a virus, their respective behaviours are similar. Apparently the common cold is a Covid virus too. And as Big John points out there's a question of what are we really? Maybe we need to go back to the drawing board because often we're just running away from ourselves.
Is it?, I did not know that. I new the cold was considered a rhinovirus, but I believe that refers to its common means of entry into the body vs. the shape of the virus itself.

Anyway, yes from the viewpoint of the planet, humanity can indeed be seen as a virus. It is taking over all of the ecological machinery of the planet and making it serve its needs. It is replicating itself without control. It does however appear to at least be partly aware that it may end up killing it's host and thereby everyone of those replicas along with it, along with everything else that depends upon that host. It is making the planet sick and parts of it are dying as it's organs are becoming over stressed. So yes, Agent Smith had a point to make.

Of course, not all humans think and act like a virus. There are some that see themselves more like those friendly gut microbes that digest our food, feeding nutrients and energy into the body, communicating, coordinating, and cooperating with their host, and then once they have grown old and served their purpose, happily being pooped back out to be digested by the earth themselves. Who knew poop was full of such noble creatures that happily do their part to keep the wheel turning, one could learn a lot from one's poop.

Are human beings an invading virus, or friendly symbiotic microbes? Depends on the attitude with which they approach and view themselves and the host that they are within, and depend upon for their survival. Let's hope the changing world is changing more toward the latter.