Thread: V.E day.
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
It sounds very beautiful. Is it not both perplexing and amazing how such feelings of beauty can arise from remembering such horror, misery, loss and grief? It seems everybody who experiences war, whether on or off the battlefield, is changed by it in some way, yet none in exactly the same way.

I always remember this quote featured in the Ken Burns documentary series on the U.S. Civil War.
“We have shared the incommunicable experience of war, we have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top. In our youth our hearts were touched with fire.” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Yes it's beautiful in a haunting way.. as though all those lost souls were walking the streets instead of the people. It was appropriate. It was apt . It was perfect . And when I said in first instance "lest we never forgot" .... I meant just that. I cannot even begin to imagine sending my precious boys off to war... Knowing full well they may never come back. I cannot ever or even imagine the full horror of those young boys...and what they went through and experienced. Many lied about their age in order to take home the king's shilling. How proud were they .. to put on uniform and parade in front of family and friends , only to be thrown into the bowels of hell.