View Single Post
Old 15-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Master
I have to say...ye need to take all this with a grain of salt ....

Mum paid for us to send in a kit because she's really got into all this genealogy on her off hours.

First go-round, it seemed fairly reasonable and more or less what was expected. Though my British Isles v North Western Europe was divvied up a bit differently to my mum and brother. Good enough. The interesting tidbits were all there and some random bits as well, just for variety

Then they revised it all a few months later, as they may do whenever they feel it's appropriate. Now we are all basically the same, as they've combined that British Isles & NW Europe. But all our interesting smaller bits (<20%) are gone, aside from the bit of Irish they count separate to the British Isles overlap.

It's all bland, boring, and suspiciously generic-looking now
Perhaps next go round they'll add some of the previous detail back in, LOL. What I'm saying is, I wouldn't count on these tests to tell you anything concrete that you don't already know about your history.
As it seems the results are pretty widely open to redistribution and other tampering.

I think the historic aspect of the genealogy is probably a far sounder and richer way of ascertaining one's roots, unless there is no way to do that. So to the extent these tools can aid that, that could be a good thing.

My point is, if you know you are part whatever by ancestry and/or culture and upbringing, who cares if the test says this or that or the other thing?

And beyond that, you are from these things, but none of it defines who you are at core. These things are simply a part of your story and your journey, and they can be a very meaningful part, but in the end you decide who you are. Amen.

Peace & blessings
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke