View Single Post
Old 18-06-2011, 08:36 PM
SerpentQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokopton
@SerpentQueen, nice to have you aboard as a reader!

No that is not what I'm advocating at all! Insight is of huge importance, and yang and yin in spiritual terms should be balanced.

I didn't *think* so but I figured it was best to ask. You have an interesting tone to your writing - it's easy for me to "hear" something different in your words, than you actually intended. If that makes sense? i.e., fault of the reader, ahem, me... not you ;-)

Quote:
When it comes to understanding culture, the same thing has to apply. You can have a moment of seeing a lot of symbols and saying, well these look like widespread kundalini to me, a moment of sudden vision... but then you need to see, are you right? As humans we tend to hold onto our precious inspirations, but they become so much more valuable if they are subjected to the test of the real world, and the real world causes us to think, to have to be more creative, to have more flashes of insight, as a result of having to take it into account.

I do agree with this. I've seen it happen in my line of business. I'm the "big picture" type and lean towards creative insights, which are based on volumes of data and information generated by the technical people I work with. I will see the patterns and connect the dots, and have the creative flashes of insight.

But it doesn't stop there - it's a process. If the insight resonates, the technical folks then take it and run with it. As you say, testing it out, seeing if it works and "holds water." And, if it does, they often add, expand, make it even better than I would ever dream. Nobody owns the final outcome - it's completely collaborative process. It never ceases to amaze me, and I think about it a lot, how it works like that. I know I'm probably swinging away from the original topic.

The other thing I've noticed and marvel over is that often in my organization the same basic "big idea" will bubble up separately. From teams that have no connection to each other. Do you know what I mean? So what I would be interested in knowing is whether these images - IF they stood for the same basic idea - did they pop up in isolation, around same time? That's where it gets very interesting to me. (And please note - I'm not suggesting aliens came down from the sky... I like to keep an open mind, so who knows. I just think there's other explanations, as I am sure that there are no aliens visiting my organization).

Quote:
I don't know where you got this thing about dismissing the 'just do it approach'? (Maybe that initial quote from Karajan in my current post?) If so that 'approach' is not the Nike 'just do it', it's the 'just do what I tell you' approach! Which is a different thing. The point of that particular blog post was that unquestioning obedience to a set of spiritual instructions may not be the best way to encourage human spiritual creativity, which is actually what gives us so much good stuff. I'm not a fan of being told what to think for no good reason, I simply can't seem to follow even the best ideas for spiritual training, for example, without seeing why they ought to do me good. I'm not the 'faith' type! And again, I'd have to say that a good deal of the spiritual stuff I value most came exactly from that continually-probing mindset.

I also haven't studied the Sufis so I can't comment on their relevance to that...

I think my point still applied, whether it was "just do it" or "just do what I tell you."

Another angle I wonder about takes the temperament theorist approach. Four basic temperaments. Your temperament, I am going to guess, is Rational (NT). So yeah, you absolutely would want a path that is all about questioning and not having anyone tell you what to do. Whereas I am an Idealist type, so I take like a duck in water to more creative, intuitive paths. But the majority of the world are Guardians - they would, I imagine, vastly prefer a "just do what I tell you" approach, one based on tradition and ritual and yes, authority.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what path you take, does it?