View Single Post
Old 23-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Master
linen53 - I don't like fear, but it's plays a big role in a human's life. Everything from fear of public speaking to fear of death, and everything in between. I have tried for years to get a handle on fears, especially the 'future" fears and try to live more in the now. However, as clever as the thought is or theme of a book, it's often difficult to put into practice. It takes a lot of mindful awareness of emotions and the engine that drives those emotions.

Fear drives anxiety and it often feels to me like the world is breathing anxiety. Just watching the news during dinner, interferes with one enjoying the experience of nourishing ones body. And then there is sleep, something that is hard to achieve with much tranquility given violence around the world.

Fear kept in perspective though serves as motivation to change what one doesn't like about his or her life. Returning to the idea that one should live in the present moment. That's not realistic. Fear of not having the resources to live without too much suffering, takes action on ones part. Knowing when to take off running or call 911 is imperative for survival.

So even though I don't like fear, it has been a driving force throughout my life despite it's side effects - worry and anxiety. Every generation has its own set of fears, from the very young child all the way to the eldest nearing their deathbed. No one is exempt from this thing we call fear.