View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 02:16 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Probably here the more extreme element would be banned, so we can mimic it here by excluding the radicals, but they are out there fer realz.
I'm not against the idea. Of course it is a great idea, but I just can't see it actually working, and unfortunately, reality isn't the same as we'd want it to be sometimes..
I see interfaith all the time. At most workplaces, people of all different faiths come together to get on with the business of life. Same goes for theaters, sporting events, some political organizations, and on and on the list goes. Conversations arise about what people do and don't believe and nobody get's into a fight. We can all be tolerant of others beliefs....for the most part.

The problems arise when some become so convinced of the supremacy of their own beliefs that they close their minds to any others, any chance they could be mistaken, and become intolerant of those who do not believe as they do. Then even those who preach tolerance and freedom of beliefs have to question just how much tolerance of intolerance they can tolerate. The breaking point of those who champion tolerance often comes when the intolerant turn violent. Which is usually when their beliefs have become so extreme that it is now nearly impossible to reason them back into becoming peaceful.

And so it goes with humanity through the ages. Getting religion out of the picture would give us one less thing to fight about, but I expect we will find plenty of other things to kill each other over anyway...like...for example...who started it. Perhaps there will be no more wars, when there are no more humans left to fight them...IDK....but I expect so.