View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Master
The old fame and fortune game eh!

It's like a fun park ride where the highs and lows are exaggerated and after a while you just get to riding it like it's the straight and narrow...

I've had little bit's of fame and fortune and know people who've had lots more and the more you get the more you just wanna take it easy and calm it all down... take your lessons at your own pace and stop being the focus of so many others who have lessons to learn.

I'm not saying don't go there but I am saying that if you do decide to take on that journey then leave markings to find your way home...

My favourite story 'bout stuff like this was when Peter Gabriel came to NZ. I was a little famous at the time after making stuff for a Crowded House video and so the music Industry saw me as a man with potential. I thought it might be nice to meet Mr Gabriel and so I asked for one, a meeting, and the Record Co said I should draw up something to pass along so at the last minute I sketched something fast and silly on a scrap piece of paper.

Later, after Pete had left the country, I heard this story where the NZ contingent met the Peter Gabriel contingent, these two pyramids of possibilty and hope, and the handover was my scrap of paper... I so laughed my head off at the notion of this famous person having his people come back to him and hand over this scrap of paper from NZ's brighest. It was just ridiculous!

And that's the other side of the coin that people who aim for fame and fortune find the hardest to accept... and live with. Absurdity and the ridiculous take a front row seat and it stands to reason that it should. Anything spinning out towards the extremes needs a balancing factor, a governor applied to keep the notion of gravity as a holding force for the psyche.

You think you want this... then go get it!

My advice would be to ponder why you want it and try to realise what you'd really get from it that'd work best for you... then bypass the fame and fortune and just get what you want.