View Single Post
Old 15-02-2024, 10:18 AM
Seeker
Beyond Theology - Alan Watts

I always have quite a few books on the go, dipping in and out of them. At the moment one in particular has gained a stranglehold, "Beyond Theology: The Art of Godmanship" by Alan Watts. Fascinating stuff, causing me to jumble about with previous convictions and reorientate ways of seeing and being.

Way back I cast aside Alan Watts as some sort of superficial New Agey guru but eventually had to reconsider upon reading a couple of his books on Taoism and Zen. I found that he had in fact deep insight, at least as I understood it. I now have his Collected Letters, and read a few each day. Quite entertaining, and he addresses many to "Mummy and Daddy" even into his thirties and forties! I know that in his private life it all became a bit "iffy" with drink and what not (especially the "what not"!) but hey, no one is perfect and let us not judge!

Anyway, I recommend the book "Beyond Theology" - it can be a bit of a game changer. The text certainly demonstrates a deep knowledge of many of our world's faith traditions, especially Christianity and Hinduism. What eventually comes through is a way of knowing them in fresh ways - or simply "way" - which can perhaps lead to a way of living them that is life giving.

I might quote a few passages if there is any interest.