Thread: Favorite Comics
View Single Post
Old 19-01-2024, 11:37 AM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBlue
Hi Ash, haha, yes, us oldies never got much choice.
If we were lucky there would be a small cartoon strip on the newspaper the fish and chips were wrapped in LOL......after we had licked all the grease off we would endeavour to read the cartoon ...happy days !!!!!
You sound very much like my eldest , into all the superhero comics where I had to politely listen to all to comings and goings of the usual crowd , and if green lantern was mentioned again I'd have left home .
But yes, I think in general he's very "old school" with the DC and Marvel heros.
His younger brother is more into the Japanese horror comics
( Or should I say graphic novels ).
It fascinates me how you read them back to front !!!!
But when I go see him he "makes" me look at them in great detail. All the snakes coming out of eyeballs, body parts all over the place, you get the drift LOL. All good fun !!!!

Being in the states we had comics in the newspaper daily. Everything from Tarzan and Prince Valiant to Spiderman to Garfield. I was about 8 when I discovered superheroes and 10 when I discovered how many of them there were.

When I hit 18 my tastes changed and I went for more "adult" books like Sandman and Preacher and Hellblazer and Swamp Thing. I still kept my eyes on superheroes and bought them off and on up until a few years ago.

Now I mainly buy the graphic novels and collections of older books. Some of the superheroes but Im very picky these days. I like books with mythology and crime and all kinds of things.

Ive tried to get into Manga but the format eludes me. Not the reading Right to Left but writing a 250 page book that has less going on than a 22 page X-men comic from the 80s. Beautiful art on the covers but not always the same inside.