Thread: In a Nutshell
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2023, 08:45 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingalways
"The enquiry "Who am I" is the only method of putting an end to all the misery and ushering in supreme Beatitude. Whatever and however it may be said, this is the whole truth in a nutshell." ~ Sri Ramana Maharishi

The human mind/ego appearance fights the simplicity of asking and answering "Who am I" until it finally gives up looking for truth in thought, often because of seeking exhaustion.
Arthur Osborne lived with Ramana Maharshi from the mid-1940s and remained at the ashram after Ramana Maharshi's death. He described Self-enquiry as follows:

Self-enquiry is not analysis; ... It does not mean arguing or saying that I am not this or not that; it means concentrating on the pure sense of being, the pure I-am-ness of me. And this, one discovers, is the same as pure consciousness, pure, formless awareness.

So far is it from being a mental practice that the Maharshi told us not to concentrate on the head while doing it but on the heart. By this he did not mean the physical heart at the left side of the chest but the spiritual heart on the right. ... After a little practice it sets up a current of awareness that can actually be felt physically though far more than physical. ... Perhaps it could be said that this current of awareness is the 'answer' to the question 'Who am I?', since it is the wordless experience of I-ness.

Peace