View Single Post
Old 16-12-2022, 07:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBe
protein powders. where do you start.What do you use yourself?
The sport supplement industry is pretty much one giant scam, so shopping for supplements is one way to get ripped off. At least we know a protein supplement is effective and not a total sham.

Whey protein would have to to be the best, and no matter which one you get, any gram of whey contains the same amino acids. Trouble is, some unethical producers add fillers and lie about the percentage of protein in a scoop, or you open the bag and find a gigantic scooper, so your bag of powder doesn't last long.

I buy a simple whey protein concentrate from VVA, and have one scoop once a day. Since I have it in a berry and oats smoothy, I only use the strawberry flavour. But they have a ton of different flavours. So you could get banana if you're into banana smoothies, or chocolate if you just loooove chocolate. They have a plain one, but it isn't sweetened, and since it tastes like chalk, useless. The weird ones like cookies and cream are just disgusting, so stick to more traditional flavours. I have been getting get this one https://www.vpa.com.au/collections/p...emium-whey-wpc, but wow, this stuff has gone up about 80% recently! Talk about inflation.

This one is pretty much the same, exactly the same protein profile, but cheaper, so I'm changing to this next time https://www.bulknutrients.com.au/pro...Aj zEEALw_wcB

I haven't tried any vege proteins, but pea protein is OK if that's important, and they have some plant blends, but honestly, looking at the nutrient panels, the amino acid profile is nowhere near the quality ranges of whey protein, so I can only recommend whey protein unless a vegan options is especially important.

They have a plant blend called 'Future Whey' which has a good amino profile, but it comes in a 750g, which makes it more expensive than it looks. Since whey protein is unbeatable and an isolate is only a bit better than a concentrate, I reckon the whey protein concentrate is the best bang for your buck. I buy 5 kg or 5 packets at a time to save a few quid, and at one scoop a day, it lasts me for months!

Ps. don't get tempted by the dozens of protein things they sell, it's all nonsense. There are only 2 effective supplements for weight training. Plain old protein powders and supplemental creatine, but we don't need creatine unless we train like a savage. Regular people only benefit from good nutrition, and a protein powder can help ensure we get the optimal intake. Much better to get it from real food, but a powder can be convenient.