View Single Post
Old 28-07-2022, 05:24 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc
You have heard it before, that the greatest trick that Satan has ever played is
to convince people that he doesn't exist.

I suppose what I was driving at in the original post was that the levels of denial which are possible in a human being who is trying to become
more integrated through psychology or spirituality are big and not easily removed or transformed. Going to Satsang may bring temporary relief and for many
it is claimed permanent relief. Others try skillful means such as meditation or greater service to their communities to transcend their own self interests and experience dissolution
of the self and union.
So Satan represents denial, closed downness and a lack of vision. The egocentric mechanism for survival some might say others would say for self grandiosity.
So I should thank Charles Baudelaire the French Writer who coined the phrase, " The greatest trick that Satan ever played was to convince people he didn't exist."
It is a phrase I would have really shied away from because of Bigoted versions of Christianity so I was very surprised to see that the phrase is full of potential meaning and insight in relation to the spiritual path.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge