Thread: Sangharaks*ita
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2021, 04:37 PM
Deactivated Account
Sangharaks*ita

SANGHARAKS*ITA

Is anyone here familiar with Sangharaks*ita and his writings? It was his book, "A Survey of Buddhism" that was the very first "heavyweight" book on the Dharma that I read. I picked it up second-hand in some little Theosophical Bookshop close to the British Museum, near Tottenham Court Road. I was quite pleased at the time, finding such a book written straight from the horses mouth (so to speak) This was the real McCoy. I mean, Sangharaks*ita! Sadly, although I enjoyed the book and learnt much, I was somewhat deflated when I found out that Sangharaks*ita was in fact plain old Dennis Lingwood from Romford. Nothing against Romford of course, it has a fine open air market, but still..........where was the authenticity?

Further disillusionment followed. I delved into Dennis's organisation, The Friends of the Western Buddhist Order. Apparently it's members were allotted various coloured sashes, this to proclaim their particular level of "attainment". At heart I am very egalitarian and have found that insights and "teaching" can be found anywhere, from anyone. My own granddaughter can be very profound at times, even if a little feisty. Any form of heirarchical structure becomes suspect, at least to me. Whatever, Mr Lingwood (or Dennis) aka Sangharaks*ita, dipped in my estimation, this despite one or two other books of his that I read later that were quite reasonable, if not illuminating.

Well, to keep a short story long, I was gathering merit this afternoon doing one of my twice a week stints in a local charity shop, the Oxfam Book and Music Store. (Hopefully the merit gained from this good work will result in a half decent rebirth, maybe as a duck, who I hear live happily in the Now having nowhere in particular to go.) Anyway, very easy merit to attain as there are very few customers to disturb me as I listen to my favourite music, read my kindle and occasionally strum on one of the many cheap and nasty guitars that pass through the store (about £15 a time in most cases, unless they have all six strings, in which case we add a fiver)

Well, today I just happened to dip into "The Essential Sangharaks*ita" , a rather cheap download on kindle. The book is a large collection of the man's essays written over the years. I chose one, "The Essence of the Dharma", thinking that I might pick up a few quotes to impress others on the forum and demonstrate "insight". It was extremely good. Nothing particularly new, but the simple clarity of expression was commendable. I would recommend it. I'll take a further look at a few of the essays contained in the book.(I'm not sure what colour sash he now wears but surely he deserves silver, even gold?)

My apologies. I could have just asked "Is anyone here familiar with Sangharaks*ita and his writings?" and left it at that. But I was filling up time, tapping into my cyber notebook. A few more customers might just have helped. And I was listening to the Stones, the "Boss" and Neil Young.

And no real apologies for the sheer length of this OP. I have seen longer on the forum. But to make it even longer, after finishing Sangharaks*ita's fine essay I turned once more to the dialogue between Thomas Merton and D T Suzuki, "Wisdom in Emptiness", contained as Part Two of Merton's own book of essays "Zen and the Birds of Appetite". A dialogue I have now read, over many years, a number of times. Always with reward, greater clarity of mind, faith seeking understanding. The dialogue addresses many of the issues raised here on various threads. Recommended. Available at all good bookshops.