View Single Post
Old 26-02-2021, 06:18 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi
You might get something out of reading Mahabharata. The main text is massive, but I have heard that William Buck's translation is clear, still easy to locate and pleasant to read, although I haven't yet read that one myself.

Bhagavad Gita is from Mahabharata. I think the main theme of Bhagavad Gita is detachment; detachment from the temporary, attachment to the eternal. Krishna has a lot of advice about how to do what you have to do in the world while remaining detached. The theory being that attachment to things which are temporary, things with defects, is the cause of inevitable disappointment and suffering, and genuine detachment gives relief from suffering.

I don't especially worship Krishna, but probably my favourite thing about him, which you might appreciate too, is the way he doesn't hesitate to follow his own moral compass. I may not agree with all of his decisions, but it's obvious he's trying to do what is right, even if it means going against the culture or the people around him.

Well stated, Aditi.

I enjoyed reading this. Non-attachment, following the moral compass or doing the right thing are basics of spirituality, and its good to be reminded of them from time to time.

Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost.~ Buddha AN 10.1

If you do right, irrespective of what the other does, it will slow down the (turbulent) mind. ~ Rajini Menon