View Single Post
Old 22-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown
Do you think meditation can break with very very deep and old patterns? Like food addiction or not dealing correctly with day to day unselting experiences like anxiety ?

Meditation can help us break all unhelpful patterns, but as wstein says, it can take time.

One of the effects of meditation is that it increases our awareness of our patterns, and it can push things to the surface to be released. We sit there and we have to deal with the mind with no external distractions. This can be difficult. We become more aware of anxieties, addictions, desires, etc. Meditation is not all bliss and calmness. Some people persist through these difficult times, for others it is too much.

But if we persist then we find a greater separation between our awareness and our mental patterns. The fact that we can observe our mental patterns is evidence that we are not those patterns. We find a still centre within which is untouched by whatever is happening in the mind. Then we can reap the rewards of all our efforts.

I would certainly not want to relive all the difficulties of my early years of meditation. But I had to go through all that to get where I am now. And it is worth it.

Peace